Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Dirt

And my Boy kneeling at third, fucking around in the dirt as would any boy or man given the opportunity. He stands. Still looking down and unaware the hit ball bounces sharply toward him. Until he looks up suddenly and it is there. Stops the ball with a combination of hands, cheek, and collar bone. Grabs the ball and turns immediately toward the practice parents, spots me on the periphery at once and bellows with his unique brand of exaggeration, “I’m All right!!!” He makes a good strong throw to his coach. Hears the reassurances of Good Stop, Way to Stick with it, and Good Job, Emerson! His smile is forced. He has been more startled than hurt. His face maybe wants to cry a little. But the camaraderie and reassurances win. He returns to an infielder’s stance. Looks briefly down and then up. I know he wants to draw stories in the dirt. Who wouldn’t? His face doesn’t want to cry anymore. Mostly not.

Sometimes his courage breaks my heart.

3 Comments:

Blogger Just Larry said...

L'il Fat took a shot to the face with soccer ball a couple of weeks ago.

I saw it happen, it took her feet out from under her and she never had a chance to put her hands up, even if she had the coordination (she doesn't).

She shook it off and got back in game.

Of course you should be proud, I was.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Fill said...

Attaboy, Em! - Scr.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Newscoma said...

I watch the nieces do this.
Your right, the bravery they sometimes show, breaks my heart because I know eventually they will lose it (or at least I fear they will.)

7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home