Friday, January 13, 2006

What are you hearing now?: A One Act Play

Characters—
Girl: Young. Brunette. Self-assured. Petite Build.
Guy: Average even by average standards. Indeterminate age (25-40).

Setting—
Out of doors in park, coastal area, parking lot, etc.

*******************************************************

Girl: So you’re the one with the soundtrack playing in his head?

Guy: That’s right.

Girl: I thought you’d look older.

Guy: I get that a lot.

Girl: I bet. [Pause] So what are you hearing right now?

Guy: It’s dancing between Clarence Carter’s Slip Away and Badfinger’s Baby Blue.

Girl: I don’t know either one.

Guy: You’re too young. But you should know them. They’re worth your while.

Girl: Will you let me hear them?

Guy: There’s no room for you in there right now. It’s full.

Girl: When will you have room?

Guy: I don’t know. It stays pretty crowded.

Girl: Are you divorced yet?

Guy: Almost.

Girl: Is she in there?

Guy: Not really.

[Long pause]

Girl: What are you hearing now?

Guy: It just switched to The Sloop John B.

Girl: [Smiling, begins to sing] My Grandfather and me… My Dad used to sing that to me.

Guy: Good for you.

Girl: You’re kind of a bastard, aren’t you? Or is that an act?

Guy: A little of both.

Girl: What do you like?

Guy: To be left alone. And company.

Girl: What do you like now?

Guy: [Pause] Company.

Girl: I can’t figure you out.

Guy: You never will [smiles].

[Long pause]

Girl: And now?

Guy: Take a Letter, Maria.

Girl: [Blank stare]

Guy: R.B. Greaves?

Girl: Nope.

Guy: Jesus Christ. There is so much I could teach you.

Girl: [Pause. Smiles] Probably not. [Turns, exits stage left].


Lights Fade. Curtain Falls.

4 Comments:

Blogger MJ said...

Well. Looks like you've scared the commenters away with this one. I say good riddance, freakin' brunette self-assured petite-ass bee-atch(es). She obviously sucks cock for money. There now, feel better?

2:54 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

MJ, you never fail to make me grin.

Of course I feel better.

Ryan

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Sloop John B. That get's me every time.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Angeline Rose Larimer said...

She WAS pretty nosey. I don't like being talked to when I'm listening to music.

(Whew! And now I've said hello.)

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home