Monday, February 28, 2005

A Thing to Consider

It is one a.m. and I am knee deep in an article for work that was due last Thursday COB. For all my flaws I don’t miss deadlines. And while procrastination takes the majority of my time in real life (leading to the occasional missed engagement), it does not extend to the workplace. It is poor form to not deliver on an expectation. And though I embrace poor form in most every aspect of my existence, doing so in one’s work is unseemly. Circumstances arose that required prioritization; so, hell, I prioritized. Let me tell you I suck at prioritization; but in this instance I chose correctly and did what needed to be done. So no buildings will crumble nor will businesses fail as a result, but a deadline was missed and that ain’t cool in my comic book. But c’est la vie (that’s French for c’est la vie)! The article will be on someone’s desk at 8:00 a.m. I will have met her deadline but not my own. And somehow, I think I’ll sleep just fine.

We got Uncle G. moved out of the apartment and into a storage unit. He can’t sleep in the unit. The contract he signed says so. So that angle is gone. Fuck, I’d be tempted—it has electricity and everything. It’s big enough for a person. And your stuff would already be there so… During the move we spotted a monstrous crane near Belmont University. It was crazy big. It prompted me to launch into a diatribe on how I would love to climb the crane with a backpack full of iced beer and snacks and sit up there all night. I had it all mapped out. During the move it truly seemed like a thing to consider. What the fuck? Am I nineteen? I’ve lost it, I think.

I took Em to the Dollar Store today. Where have I been all my life? That place rocks. Em had $5 to spend and he did so in style. A bow and arrow, an FBI kit, a paddle ball, an airplane, and two water pistols. Five bones plus tax. The place was incredible. They had snacks, Easter candy, flashlights, and paper towels. For a dollar! I turned into a SNL skit—asking how much each item was. Surely it cost more than a dollar. People charge you more than that for an acknowledgment. He had fun and so I had fun.

A late night at Mulligan’s last night. Harp and Jamesons all ‘round. Exceptional music even though Butters was absent. Show me a better Irish pub this side of Dublin and I’ll...I’ll…argue with you until you agree that Mulligan’s is the better of the two.

I am exhausted. Em was a bear this evening. My article is waiting. I need a shave. I have to iron clothes for work. I have visions of The Boy’s soccer practices in my head. I am antsy. I am simply unsettled. But it is Spring training and Baseball looms. I see a squeeze play coming…


You know that crane thing is a thing to consider. Perhaps I’ll put that in my article.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home